Curriculum VitaeSeptember 05, 2018
❌ Not seeking work
Determined to make the web a better place with beautiful, maintainable, accessible and thought-out software applications.
- 4+ years’ software engineering experience with some of Australia’s largest companies.
- Typically thrive in empowered, self-sufficient and multidisciplinary teams. Keen interest in process, lean philosophy and improving the way we work.
Mar 2018 - present (contract)
- Working on a project team to build a completely new weather experience for BOM’s general public audience.
- One of Australia’s top 40 websites by traffic.
- Tooling: Typescript, React, Mobx with mobx-state-tree, Jest/Enzyme, ES6+, styled-components.
- managing tree-structured state
- finding the right abstractions for reusable components
- working with a medium-to-large team to agree on long-term technical decisions
(side project, on hold) June 2017 - Present
- Building the next generation of surf forecasting.
- Built on a Ruby on Rails API (my first major Rails project) and a React/Redux/Webpack client-side ecosystem.
- Multiple third-party integrations involved, including: NOAA, BOM, PlanetOS and Willyweather.
powered by Telstra Nov 2016 - Mar 2018
Mid-level Front-end Developer on a React/Redux/Webpack web application. Key activities:
- Tooling: React, Redux, Webpack, ES6/Babel, server-side React rendering
- Built out a hybrid native application using Expo and React Native.
- Onboarding new developers, maintaining Jest unit testing coverage
- Migration of our legacy front-end app out of an unmaintainable Knockout/JQuery set-up to a more manageable React/Redux ecosystem.
Jan ‘14 - Nov ‘16
Front-end feature development in SCRUM delivery teams:
- Regularly owned front-end estimation and delivery of user stories end-to-end with considerable complexity and time constraints.
- Assisted product owners, designers and UX to design solutions that maximise business value from more effective development effort.
- Attended conferences and completed training such as: Deloitte FED training (mostly React & Angular), Pluralsight courses (i.e. Crockford’s JS Good Parts) and meetups/conferences (MelbJS, LASTConf).
- Helped design/introduce a feature-based Git workflow (‘git flow’) for multiple clients.
6m contract, 2015
Full-Stack Developer (PHP)
- Part-time (and sole) full-stack PHP developer for the incentive marketing agency’s proprietary software, Flashpoint, used by sales teams at BMW, Nissan and Samsung in Australia.
2013 - Dec ‘16
Developer / Digital Consultant
- Worked for myself from university as a web developer and digital consultant to small businesses.
- Provided services from as basic as a Wordpress/Squarespace build to a custom Rails application.
- Clients: Damgar Group, Gaffneys Logistics, Serenity Face & Body, All City Bathrooms & Kitchens, Memla Landscape Architects
2014 (Mobile Device Technician)
- Heavy focus on best practices in software development: writing reusable, readable and maintainable code, continuous improvement and quality (through pull requests, pair programming and regular team catch-ups). Opinions heavily influenced by the Rails Doctrine, Clean Code and Eloquent JS.
- Strong interest in wider front-end community involvement and contributing back to open source projects. Regular attendee at MelbJS and Ruby Melbourne meetups. Participant in Hacktoberfest.
- Managing teams and workflows around building software. Inspired by many things/people, to name a few: Agile manifesto, Lean philosophy, Basecamp, Ben Horowitz, Seth Godin and Paul Graham.
- Outside of work I generally spend well away from my computer (mainly surfing/camping).
- React/Redux/Mobx front-end ecosystem
- Git & git-flow
- Webpack, Babel
- React Native & Expo
- Ruby & Rails
- Jest/Enzyme unit testing
- Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator
- HTML, CSS, Sass
2012 - 2015